Blockade states meet in Bahrain amid Gulf crisis

Measures Taken to Ensure Safety of Hajj Pilgrims

The Gulf diplomatic crisis began after Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt snapped its diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of financing extremist groups.

In a statement, the Bahraini Foreign Ministry said the meeting "is part of continuing coordination to halt Qatar's support for terrorism and extremism and interference in the affairs of the region's countries".

"This military cooperation contributes maintaining Arab security, as well as the security of Bahrain and Egypt", he said.

They claimed they would be "ready for dialog" with Qatar if it met a series of demands they have presented to Doha.

Muslims are obliged to make a hajj pilgrimage to Mecca at some point in their lifetime, a fact which is sometimes very complicated, as Saudi Arabia isn't always on good terms with the nations those Muslims are coming from.

"In 2013 and 2014, we had talks, following which, Qatar signed agreements but failed to honour them".

All Qatari airplanes are also now banned from flying over Saudi and UAE airspace. Qatar claimed that Saudi Arabia had attacked the border post at Khafus. It took more than a decade after this for it to be fully implemented. On Saturday, however, prior to the excitement, Doha had indeed accused Riyadh of politicizing the Hajj. Armed confrontation between the two countries had been narrowly avoided in 1986 due to timely Saudi intervention. Qatar was awarded the Janan Islands.

UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan said that there are a number of steps that can be taken against Qatar، but there is a fundamental principle that these steps should not affect the Qatari citizen.

Director of Hajj and Umrah Department at Awqaf, Ali Sultan Al Misifry, said the number of registrations by national and resident pilgrims had reached 20,000.

Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, whose country faces a diplomatic and economic war by a Saudi Arabian-led group of countries, responded by saying that no Qatari official had made such a demand. "We have not moved for the last 50 plus days, we haven't moved anywhere", Mahjoob Zweiri, professor at Qatar university, told Al Jazeera.

He dismissed Sunday's joint statement and said the sanctions were violating worldwide laws.

Following the meeting it's clear the boycott is still very much in play.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Other news