Here's what the polar vortex looks like from NASA's heat-mapping satellite

Scott Olson  Getty Images

Bryan Jackson, a National Weather Service (NWS) meteorologist, said that the core of the vortex was pulling north into eastern Canada, though residual icy air was still pushing over to the US Northeast.

"They are life-threatening temperatures, and they should be treated accordingly", Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel cautioned residents Wednesday evening.

Meteorologists linked the brutally cold weather to the so-called polar vortex, a cap of icy air that usually circles the North Pole. The death toll rose from a previous 12 after at least nine more people in Chicago were reported to have died from cold-related injuries, according to Stathis Poulakidas, a doctor at the city's John H Stroger Jr Hospital. Hospital of Cook County, said almost 50 patients had sought treatment for frostbite in recent days, about half of them homeless.

Cable worker Brian Stachovic said he was up an electrical pole for only five minutes on Thursday before his fingers and toes went numb, and he had to go inside to avoid frostbite.

The deaths recorded in the United States included an elderly IL resident who was found several hours after he fell while trying to get home and a University of Iowa student found behind an academic hall several hours before dawn. The wind chill at the time officers found Belz was minus 51F (minus 46 C), according to the National Weather Service.

Schools and businesses remained closed in several midwestern states, people were encouraged to stay home, and travellers were stranded by grounded flights and halted trains. It's an incredibly powerful tool that has aided the weather forecasting community in more accurately predicting changes over both the short and long term.

In Detroit, General Motors Co suspended operations at 11 MI plants to cut natural gas consumption.

New CAPTAIN MARVEL Trailer Takes Us Higher
Jackson returns as a younger version of Nick Fury, who meets Danvers as she sets about on an expedition to discover her roots. Kevin Feige is the producer of Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel .

For the second day in a row, the intense cold and windy conditions forced United States airlines to cancel more than 2,000 flights.

Detroit, which clocked in at -14 on Thursday, a 99-year record low, could hit 45 degrees on Sunday and 50 degrees Monday.

And while thousands of flights were canceled and delayed, mostly out of Chicago, the flight-tracking site FlightAware reported cancellations were down to just over 750 and delays just over 130.

More than 30 record lows were shattered across the Midwest.

Temperatures on Friday afternoon ranged from the teens to the twenties, after cities like Chicago experienced sub-zero temperatures for two days and opened additional warming centres for the homeless.

MI and many states in the Midwest have been in a cold weather pattern over the last six days that has gotten progressively worse: we have had icy rain, sleet, snow, blowing and drifting, zero visibility, temperatures below zero, and wind chills as low as -30. "Here we are going right into spring-like temperatures".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Hong Kong seizes record eight tonnes of pangolin scales
They added that the shipment, which was bound for Vietnam, was "a record quantity for a seizure of pangolin scales". Officials say 745 cases of illegal endangered species trafficking were exposed past year in Hong Kong .

Things Get Big In The HANDMAID'S TALE Super Bowl Spot
According to Hulu season, 2 of The Handmaid's Tale has seen the audience double since the launch of season one in 2017. Rather than a song, the clip is instead narrated by the 1984 Ronald Reagan ad campaign, "Morning in America".

US in serious negotiations on Afghanistan for first time
Backing Trump, Senator Rand Paul also sought quick withdrawal of United States troops from Afghanistan. Time to declare victory, end these wars and focus on rebuilding our own homeland.

Nokia 9 Pureview launch date announced, will be launched at MWC 2019
It will be one of the smaller handsets, measuring 149mm tall and 71mm wide (the Nokia 5.1 is 151.1 x 70.7mm, for reference). Rumours also hint at the presence of Nokia OZO Audio and a massive 4150mAh battery with support for wireless charging.

Hobbs & Shaw Trailer Reaction: 6 Ups & 3 Downs
The movie stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Jason Statham in the lead. Enjoy. " Hobbs & Shaw" hits Irish cinemas on August 2nd of this year.

Captain Marvel Movie Clip - Train Fight (2019) | Movieclips Trailers
She's just an incredible character to play. "But no matter what Marvel throws at Monica Rambeau, she'll seemingly take it". Check out the Captain Marvel Super Bowl spot below! But this is the first time we've seen footage of her, Uproxx notes .

Amazon jitters offset upbeat jobs data on Wall Street
The US job report is always closely monitored because the figures may affect the Federal Reserve's interest rate policy. However, Amazon shares declined more than 4 percent on Friday after the company warned of increased spending this year.

Rob Gronkowski Reportedly Dealt With Bulging Disc, Achilles Injury This Season
Rumors swirled that Gronkowski would retire after the 2017 season, and speculation has continued to grow this year. However, he averaged his fewest yards per game since his rookie season as he missed three games due to injury.

Germany: Brexit divorce deal is a compromise
She said: "As prime minister of the United Kingdom, I would never do anything to put that union at risk or jeopardise the hard-won peace".

Trump says he wouldn't steer son Barron toward football
Asked if he would let his 12-year-old son Barron to play gridiron, Trump replied: "It's a very tough question". It comes after efforts from liberal and conservative advocacy groups as well as civil-rights advocates.

No two-tier health care planned for province, health minister says
As one of his central campaign promises, Ford vowed to tackle what he refers to as "hallway medicine". Rueben Devlin writes in the report.

Further Upside Possible :: Aphria Inc., (NYSE: APHA)
Aphria Inc. (APHA ) traded moved -16.28% from the 50-day high price and spotted a change of 133.07% from the 50-day low point. This is the price at which the trader or investor wants to exit his existing position so he can realize the most reward.

Freezing drizzle makes for a icy morning commute
For the end of the week it looks like more snow: 40 per cent chance on Thursday and a 60 per cent chance of snow on Friday. Environment Canada is predicting periods of freezing drizzle Sunday, which will change into freezing rain by Monday.

Wiarton Willie, most woodchucks don’t see shadow on Groundhog Day
The only groundhog with a differing opinion is Nova Scotia's Shubenacadie Sam, who is calling for six more weeks of winter. This winter, which across Ontario has seen either snowstorms or frigid Arctic conditions has taken a toll on many people.

Cedric Marks escapes custody north of Houston, considered extremely unsafe
Scott had filed a protective order against Marks in July, the station reported , following claims of physical abuse. Marks may not be wearing a shirt, the sheriff's office said, adding that deputies found his shirt after he fled.

Other news