World Media


Trump declares state of emergency in Georgia Trump declares state of emergency in Georgia
- September 12, 2017

As North Carolina continues its preparations for Hurricane Irma , officials opened three staging areas for National Guard soldiers ahead of their possible deployments. The state has potential to see natural disasters, Cooper said, "and we need to be ready". North Carolina Emergency Management is working with the American Red Cross and county emergency managers help evacuees. (more...)
Jewish Family Beaten, Tied Up & Robbed In Anti-Semitic Attack Jewish Family Beaten, Tied Up & Robbed In Anti-Semitic Attack
- September 12, 2017

Mr Collomb added that he offered 'deep support to the family and leaders of Jewish institutions in France'. The robbers took the family's credit cards and jewelry and interrogated them for hours on additional goods they could steal, threatening to kill them, according to the family's complaint to police. (more...)
Hurricane Irma Hits Southwest Florida Then Moves North Hurricane Irma Hits Southwest Florida Then Moves North
- September 12, 2017

The almost 400-mile-wide storm blew ashore in the morning in the mostly cleared-out Florida Keys and was expected to make a slow, ruinous march up the state's west coast, hitting the heavily populated Tampa-St. Waters receded at some of the beaches along the Florida coast as Irma moved north. "Shingles are coming off". "The Marco Islands area, we have a lot of concerns about that", Gov. (more...)
Weather: Northern Ireland flood warning as yellow alert for rain issued Weather: Northern Ireland flood warning as yellow alert for rain issued
- September 12, 2017

The incoming high winds later this week could affect road, rail and air services, with longer journey times and cancellations possible. Met Office forecasters said: "Heavy rain is expected later on Tuesday and early on Wednesday across parts of Northern Ireland and southern Scotland. (more...)
Sullivan County, Johnson City part of state's Irma response team Sullivan County, Johnson City part of state's Irma response team
- September 12, 2017

Members of a Nashville Fire Department search and rescue task force rescued a group of children Monday from the flooded St. John River in Jacksonville. "There are some people, probably some twenty percent of the population that might not remember or might not have gone through the last big hurricane in Florida", Bossert added, telling those who are staying to be ready to last on their own provisions for at least 72 hours. (more...)
Up next: Hurricane Jose and where it's headed Up next: Hurricane Jose and where it's headed
- September 12, 2017

Meanwhile open the Atlantic, Hurricane Jose was sporting category 2 winds at 100 miles per hour. After the two devastating hurricanes that have plagued Texas and Florida coast, everyone's attention is turning back to the Atlantic to watch Hurricane Jose. (more...)
National Hurricane Center says Irma is impacting all of South Florida National Hurricane Center says Irma is impacting all of South Florida
- September 12, 2017

The storm was earlier pummelling the area around the city of Fort Myers. Hurricane force winds are expected to continue this morning across south Florida as Irma moves northward. Irma has already devastated parts of the Caribbean, killing at least 28 people. People are starting to lose their power now. Tornadoes are possible in northeast Florida, and southeastern portions of Georgia and SC through tonight . (more...)
Irma loses hurricane status but keeps spreading misery Irma loses hurricane status but keeps spreading misery
- September 12, 2017

Damaging winds were moving into areas including Key Biscayne and Coral Gables, and gusts up to 56 miles per hour (90 kph) were reported off Miami. Hurricane Irma remains a risky Category 2 hurricane despite weakening a bit more to 100 miles per hour (160 kph). (more...)
French leader to go to hurricane-hit St. Martin French leader to go to hurricane-hit St. Martin
- September 12, 2017

Several Americans interviewed by ABC News upon their arrival in San Juan, Puerto Rico described a desperate situation on St. Martin during and after the storm. Collomb said the pillaging that hit St. Martin after Irma has stopped. That leaves numerous 40,000 residents reliant on public shelters as they brace for Hurricane Jose. (more...)
Hurricane Irma leaves Miami looking like you've never seen it before Hurricane Irma leaves Miami looking like you've never seen it before
- September 12, 2017

The Category 5 storm tore through the Caribbean and made landfall in the Florida Keys as a Category 4 storm Sunday morning. So that's affecting a lot of territory here in Florida . â–ºMake it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. The rain bands will have gusty winds that accompany them and the strongest are expected through 6 p.m.to the east of I-65. (more...)
Korea will pay price for provocations
- September 12, 2017

It also bans North Korea from importing all natural gas liquids and condensates. "Russian Federation and China have always used North Korea to seek concessions from the United States", he said . In response, US, South Korea and Japan want the UN Security Council to implement stronger measures against North Korea . The original US draft would also have frozen the assets of North Korea's state-owned airline Air Koryo, the Korean People's Army, and five other powerful military and party ... (more...)
Saudi Arabia Says Implementation of Demands Vital for Solving Qatar Crisis Saudi Arabia Says Implementation of Demands Vital for Solving Qatar Crisis
- September 12, 2017

On Monday, the Qatari foreign minister said his country was taken aback when Saudi Arabia disputed a readout of the "positive" call. Al-Ouda posted to his Twitter, which has 14 million follows, that he supported mediation to settle Qatar conflict. (more...)
Irma Knocks Out Power To About 5.8 Million
- September 12, 2017

Miami , the Florida Keys and the Everglades would be completely under water. - Miami streets turned into raging rivers, and the city's airport is closed because of significant water damage. "It will be a nice waterfront lot in sunny Florida with no house, no trees, no cars, no boats and an awesome view of devastation as far as you can see". (more...)
Irma remnants to bring strong winds to Manchester area; advisory issued Irma remnants to bring strong winds to Manchester area; advisory issued
- September 12, 2017

Once Irma makes landfall, the storm is expected to decrease in intensity after it makes contact with the southwest Florida coast, and then weaken as it moves north over the western Florida coast and into the panhandle. As Hurricane Irma pummeled Florida this past weekend, the weather in Kansas City remained mild and calm. Tropical-storm-force winds remain the most unsafe and severe possible impact from this storm, experts say. (more...)
Trump on Hurricane Irma: 'This is some big monster'
- September 12, 2017

Alabama's Emergency Management Agency said wind gusts at 9 a.m. were 40 miles per hour in southern Alabamba and Gov. Kay Ivey issued a directive permitting state offices in certain counties to close Monday. The Tampa-St Petersburg area, with a population of about three million, has not taken a direct hit from a major hurricane since 1921. "The hurricane winds lashed the shutters violently, throughout the night", he wrote in a text message, "making sleep impossible". (more...)
UK Intelligence: Iran Helped North Korea's Nuke Program UK Intelligence: Iran Helped North Korea's Nuke Program
- September 12, 2017

He added it was arguable, however, that the high USA bar had pushed China and Russian Federation to agree to more limited sanctions "relatively quickly". A proposed asset freeze and travel ban on leader Kim Jong-un have also been dropped. The United States had about 100 nuclear-armed weapons stationed in South Korea until 1991, when both North and South Korea signed an agreement not to develop nuclear weapons and use nuclear energy only for peaceful purposes. (more...)
JD(U) tells Lalu to mind language against Nitish JD(U) tells Lalu to mind language against Nitish
- September 12, 2017

Lalu also alleges that BJP government is misusing the central agencies. On being asked why JD (U ) allied with RJD in 2015 despite knowing about corruption charges against Lalu, state power minister Bijendra Prasad Yadav said: "We knew Lalu was not going to be a part of the government". (more...)
NHC forecasts Hurricane Jose to go in a circle over the Atlantic NHC forecasts Hurricane Jose to go in a circle over the Atlantic
- September 12, 2017

That makes Jose a Category 2 hurricane. The storm passed just north of the islands on Saturday, Sept. 9, and is now about 300 miles northeast of Turks and Caicos, with top sustained winds of 100 mph. Models show a wide range of possibilities, all the way from SC to Newfoundland, or even out to sea. Based on Monday morning's GFS model forecast , there is a 25% chance the storm will hit the U.S., 25% chance it will hit Canada, and 50% chance it will spin back out to sea. (more...)
PETA, Photographer Reach Settlement In 'Monkey Selfie' Case PETA, Photographer Reach Settlement In 'Monkey Selfie' Case
- September 12, 2017

In a joint statement from Peta and Mr Slater, it said the photographer will give a quarter of the funds he receives from selling the monkey selfies to registered charities "dedicated to protecting the welfare or habitat of Naruto". The battle over who owns the rights to a monkey's selfies has raged for years, but it's coming to a quiet end. In 2011, Naruto stumbled upon an a camera set up by Slater on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi and used the cable switch attached to it to take several ... (more...)
Rohingya Muslims injured by landmines during attempted escapes to Banladesh Rohingya Muslims injured by landmines during attempted escapes to Banladesh
- September 12, 2017

Rohingya militants, whose August raids in Myanmar's Rakhine State sparked an army crackdown that has seen almost 300,000 of the minority flee to Bangladesh , yesterday declared a unilateral ceasefire to allow aid to reach increasingly desperate people displaced by violence. (more...)
Merkel, Putin to Talk North Korea Merkel, Putin to Talk North Korea
- September 12, 2017

Last Tuesday, the United States circulated a draft resolution proposing the toughest United Nations sanctions on North Korea to date, including a ban on all oil and natural gas exports to the country and a freeze on all foreign financial assets of the government and its leader, Kim Jong Un . (more...)
North Korea threatens USA with 'great pain & suffering' over pending sanctions North Korea threatens USA with 'great pain & suffering' over pending sanctions
- September 12, 2017

Also Thursday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang reiterated China's opposition to South Korea's deployment of a U.S. Terminal High-Altitude Area Defence System, also known as THAAD, which is meant to protect against North Korean missile attacks. (more...)
ASEAN to sign Hong Kong free trade deal in November ASEAN to sign Hong Kong free trade deal in November
- September 12, 2017

Rodolfo , who also serves as spokesperson for the AEM Chair Ramon M. Lopez reported that, aside from the ASEAN-HK China FTA or AHKFTA, the ministers also approved the ASEAN-HK China Investment Agreement or AHKIA. "Representatives of all 10 ASEAN [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] member states and Canada together agreed to launch exploratory discussions to determine the potential for an ASEAN-Canada free trade agreement ", the release stated on Friday. (more...)
United States said to water down North Korea sanctions draft before UN vote United States said to water down North Korea sanctions draft before UN vote
- September 12, 2017

The US has accused North Korea of "begging for war" and repeatedly urged China to step up pressure against its neighbor. The five permanent members of the U.N. China is North Korea's main ally and by far its biggest trading partner, including for oil shipments. It would ban all textile exports and prohibit all countries from authorizing new work permits for North Korean workers - two key sources of hard currency. (more...)
Hurricane Irma Downgraded to Category Two Storm Hurricane Irma Downgraded to Category Two Storm
- September 12, 2017

The eye of Irma is beginning to move away from the northern coast of Cuba while weather is deteriorating in south Florida, according to the report . There was no word initially about the status of two large and supposedly vulnerable nuclear power plants operated by state utility Florida Power & Light. (more...)
Irma Moves Closer Tonight - Wind & Rain Pick Up Irma Moves Closer Tonight - Wind & Rain Pick Up
- September 12, 2017

Even as forecasters downgraded Irma's severity Saturday, all anticipated the storm would be among the most severe to hit Florida in decades. "All of the pictures and videos of Floridians out in the storm do not surprise me at all". "It's bad now, it's going to continue to get worse", meteorologist Angie Enyedi said . Chen said the strength, size and forward motion of the hurricane affect ocean surface waves, water level and temperature - effectively changing the shape of the ocean. (more...)
Hurricane Katia makes landfall in eastern Mexico Hurricane Katia makes landfall in eastern Mexico
- September 12, 2017

So far this year, there have been five tropical storms and six hurricanes, including Irma , Jose and Katia. The appearance of three strong hurricanes in the Atlantic basin which all threaten land is "unparalleled" in modern times, a tropical storms expert has said. (more...)
Tropical Storm Jose forms over open Atlantic Tropical Storm Jose forms over open Atlantic
- September 12, 2017

The damage potential with Irma ultimately could be from "disastrous to catastrophic", depending on its final path. Gov. Miguel Angel Yunes says the two died in a mudslide. "You're approaching peak of the season, and it looks like more storms are forming, so I would expect the next few weeks to be pretty active", he said. (more...)
Sunday weather: Cloudy morning, then sunny, with highs in the 80s Sunday weather: Cloudy morning, then sunny, with highs in the 80s
- September 12, 2017

Tuesday ... Sunny. Highs in the lower 90s. Northwest wind around 5 miles per hour becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Low around 45. West wind around 5 miles per hour. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of showers after 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 83. (more...)
Irma Aftermath: When Can People Return To Miami? Irma Aftermath: When Can People Return To Miami?
- September 12, 2017

In Miami-Dade - where Gimenez this week ordered the largest evacuation in South Florida's history out of concern for Irma's 10-foot-high storm surge potential - about 26,000 evacuees have gone to the 42 shelters set up the county, Miami-Dade Schools, the Red Cross and the National Guard. (more...)

« previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 next »